Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Off Season

Well, here it is: The Off Season. I've been awaiting its arrival for weeks, now. I've been looking forward to working out for fun, rather than for purpose. And now, it's here.

Two days ago I ran The Chicago Marathon -- I finished, which was a feat for my poor feet, which were ready to have it over with. The day was challenging -- a high of 84 (we thought it was hot) which made for some re-calibrations of expectations. Of course, I've been in re-calibration mode all season -- with nagging injuries and shifting priorities, I went from wanting a 4:00 marathon to wanting to finish.

And I did finish.

My race report will come later, when I have all of the gorgeous photos that Sweet Johnny V took before, during, and after the race. But I wanted to let everyone know that yes, I did finish, and I'm alive and kicking, and generally healthy (although feeling dizzy and strange, which I suppose is par for the course).

My body handled the running better than I thought, but once I stopped, it started to give me some feedback that I didn't appreciate. I couldn't eat well for at least a day, which sent me into major blood sugar problems. And I couldn't sleep at all on Sunday night -- after running 26.2 miles, my body was quite confused as to what it really wanted. So, even though I went to bed pretty early, I didn't actually get to sleep until 5:30 a.m. And then I was up at 7:30. I didn't appreciate that much. I cat-napped yesterday all day, but never really caught up. If I ever attempt the marathon again, I'll have to remember what my body does and when, so that I'm not caught unawares again. And maybe next time I'll take an ambien or unisom the night that I finish...

I'm headed back to my favorite spot on the couch to relax and kick back. More to come on the race and the day...

Belly

1 comment:

Lora said...

Congrats on finishing this very tough marathon! What is going on with Chicago's weather???

And just what do you mean "If I ever do a Marathon again"??!! Of course you'll do one--it just keeps getting better!!

See you at the Clock Tower!

Idgy the Cat

Idgy the Cat